Connect with us

News

Covid Outbreak In North Carolina Church Kills 3 Infects Nearly 100 People

Published

on

At least 82 confirmed coronavirus cases have been linked to convocation events held earlier this month by the United House of Prayer for All People in Charlotte, the state’s most populous city and county seat of Mecklenburg County.

Three deaths, five hospitalizations and a cluster of cases among eight residents at Madison Saints Paradise South, a senior living community in Charlotte, have been connected to the church events held from October 4 to 11, Mecklenburg County Public Health confirmed in a statement Thursday.

At least 1,000 people were reported to have attended the events, according to county officials.

According to guidance issued by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), places of worship should be limited to 100 people per room or 30 percent of stated fire capacity, whichever is less.

“If there is not a fire capacity number for the room, limit occupancy to 100 people, or 7 people per 1,000 square feet, whichever is less,” the NCDHHS noted.

A social distance of at least six feet should be maintained between groups other than those in their household, while it is “strongly recommended” that all staff and congregants wear a face covering.

“Do not allow singing or choir, as risk of viral spread is increased by increased respiratory effort,” the NCDHHS said.

Dr. Raynard Washington, Mecklenburg County’s deputy health director, said: “When a lot of people get together, it’s very difficult to ensure people are actually maintaining the six-feet distance. It’s important to not just wear the mask but to also keep the distance.”

Mecklenburg County Public Health has been trying to contact 131 close contacts of the 82 confirmed cases and at least 127 people have been tested, according to the statement.

Anyone who attended the recent church events or who has been in contact with someone who attended the events are advised to be tested for the virus.

“Mecklenburg County Public Health will be offering no cost, drive-thru COVID-19 testing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. tomorrow Friday, Oct. 23 at the Northwest Health Department location, 2845 Beatties Ford Road, Charlotte, NC 28216,” Mecklenburg County Public Health in its statement Thursday.

One local, Catherine Williams (who was tested for COVID-19 as a precaution on Thursday), reported her mother-in-law died after attending one of the recent church events, while the sister of her mother-in-law, who also attended the event, was reported to be hospitalized, Charlotte’s WBTV reported.

While her mother-in-law died before she could be tested for the virus, her mother-in-law’s sister tested positive.

“At first they diagnosed her [the sister of her mother-in-law] with pneumonia and now they said she has COVID,” Williams told WBTV.

Her mother-in-law lived in a nursing home in Charlotte and she also voted at an early voting site on Monday before she passed away, according to Williams.

While it has yet to be confirmed whether either family member became ill as a result of attending the church event, Williams raised concerns over the risks posed by it.

“North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, they’re coming here for a big event. My thing is that with COVID they should have just cancelled it,” Williams told WBTV.

“They had masks on but it was just the fact that people from different states came here.

“People have lost their lives and people just need to be a little bit more safe,” she added.

Statista

Sponsors

Advertisement

Recent Topics

Sponsors

Recent Posts

Trending